Cleaning Your Unit for Vacancy
This is always an area of contention between landlords and tenants. Getting the whole security deposit back is a goal for both owners and tenants. If there are no problems then the landlord can rent quickly and without labor cost or management time. We like nothing better! That is why a tenant moving in should fill out the move in inspection report. Its also a good idea to take a digital photo of any damage and burn a CD for the owner or manager to file. It will save time and problems at the move out. Landlords should take the position that tenants own the dirt and damage unless it can be proven that the unit was like that at the move in.
1. All pins, nails, and screws used to hang pictures should be removed, patched and sanded smooth.
2. Be sure to dust and wash dirt and Scuff marks of the Ceiling molding, wall molding, window molding, baseboards, and windowsills
3. Blinds should be wiped clean of dirt and dust. move out cleaning colorado springs
4. If washing the windows inside and out was a condition to move-in, you must wash them again before your move.
5. Bathroom walls and ceilings must be free of mold and mildew. A product called TSP can help.
6. Kitchen walls can also be cleaned with TSP, or other similar cleaner, to remove grease and grime.
7. All sinks, toilets, bathtubs and showers should be scrubbed clean. There should be no soap scum or hair left behind.
8. The inside of the stove and broiler should sparkle.
9. The inside and outside of the refrigerator and freezer should be washed. If you have a freezer that frosts up, it must be defrosted and cleaned.
10. Cabinets and drawers should be emptied and the shelves wiped clean.
11. Closets should be completely empty. That includes hangers and gift-wrap. Be sure to dust any closet shelving.
12. All non-carpeted floors should be scrubbed clean – even the corners. Murphy’s Oil Soap works wonders on hardwood floors.
13. Carpets should be vacuumed and any stains cleaned up. Remember to take special care to vacuum up dirt and dust bunnies along the walls and in corners.
14. Decks must be completely cleaned and all drains free of debris